Why You Don’t Drain Your Pool
February 8, 2021
Save Water, Save Time, Save Money
Use Your Brain before You Drain!
Draining a swimming pool can result in financial disaster.
Always take proper precautions before draining a pool or avoid draining altogether and hire a company that can complete your pool repair without draining the pool.
When a swimming pool is drained, a natural hazard is temporarily created by the absence of water in the pool. As a result of this natural hazard it is possible that the following conditions might occur:
1) the pool might “float” due to hydrostatic pressure or surcharge conditions;
2) the shell may crack;
3) there may be checking or “blistering” in the plaster;
4) a person or animal could fall into the empty or partially empty pool, injuring themselves and/or the pool;
5) the pool light is cooled by water, if turned on while not immersed it will be damaged and may blow up.
* The weight of water in a pool helps it maintain its shape and structural integrity.
* Draining a pool can make problems like cracks and popping plaster worse.
* Dumping pool water into the sewer is now illegal in most California counties.
* You will be charged to refill your pool if you are on a water meter!