Mike the Poolman


Subscribe to Mike's Blog...

What is the bar in my swimming pool skimmer?

August 26, 2022

Do you have a vertical bar in your skimmer opening that looks like one of the photos below?

If so, it’s no longer needed in your pool.
The official name for it is the “Ray Vac Skimmer Guard”. Jandy Ray Vac

There used to be a pool sweep made by Jandy called the Ray Vac. It was a cute cleaner that looked like a stingray. It had a propensity for its nose getting wedged in the skimmer opening so they came up with the adjustable guard to keep the Ray Vac from getting stuck.

The Ray Vac is no longer made but I still run into pools that have the guard installed because homeowners don’t know what it’s for.
Now you know!


Contact Us