Please note: We are not leak detectors but we provide this information to help pool owners. After a leak detection company finds the leak we can repair leaks while underwater and without draining the pool.
A simple test will confirm a leak in a pool or spa called The Bucket Test:
**DO NOT LET CHILDREN PLAY WITH ANY BUCKET*
- Bring the pool water to its normal level.
- Fill an empty bucket with pool water to about one inch from the top of bucket (by filling the bucket close to the top you are ensuring that air movement over the surface of the bucket will similar to that of the pool).
- Place the bucket on the first or second step of the pool- by placing the bucket in the pool water you are ensuring that the water temperature of each will be similar.
To keep the bucket from floating away, place a brick or rocks in the bucket.
- Mark the water level inside the bucket.
- Mark the water level of the pool on the outside of the bucket.
- Operate the pool for 24 hours with the pump ON and on its regular schedule.
- Operate the pool for 24 hours with the pump OFF.
- After 48 hours, compare the two levels. If the pool water (outside mark on bucket) goes down more than the inside water level, there is probably a leak.
*If the water goes down more IN the bucket an animal has been drinking from your bucket!
CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE INSTRUCTIONS IN A pdf FILE